We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Advertiser Disclosure
Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
How We Make Money
We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently of our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

What is Satisfaction of Judgment?

Mary McMahon
Updated Feb 07, 2024
Our promise to you
WiseGeek is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At WiseGeek, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject-matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

A satisfaction of judgment is a form filed with a court to indicate that a judgment has been satisfactorily resolved. Until this form is filed, the judgment is not cleared and it will create a negative entry on the debtor's credit report. Typically, the form is filed once a judgment has been paid in full, although it may be possible to work out alternate arrangements in special cases.

When a creditor takes someone to court and the court rules in favor of the creditor, it issues a judgment indicating that the debtor must pay the amount determined by the court. The judgment debtor has several options for paying. One method is to pay the court directly. Another option is to pay the creditor, or to make arrangements with the creditor for an installment plan if it is not possible to pay the amount due all at once.

Once the judgment has been paid, the judgment debtor is entitled to ask the judgment creditor to file a satisfaction of judgment. This form indicates that the judgment has been paid and it is witnessed by a notary public before being filed with a clerk of the court. The debtor can check to confirm that the document was filed and that the judgment has been recorded as satisfied in the court records.

Debtors should make sure that they keep documentation to show that they have paid a judgment. If a check is written, for example, the purpose of the check should be clearly written on the check and a copy should be made. This information can be used if a creditor attempts to claim that the judgment was not satisfied. It is also advisable to keep a copy of the judgment, to confirm that the amount of the payment corresponds with the amount ordered by the court.

Some judgment creditors will file a satisfaction of judgment automatically when the debtor has paid. Others may need a reminder. If a creditor refuses to file, the debtor can consult a lawyer for assistance with getting the creditor to file the document. It is very important to make sure that a satisfaction of judgment has been filed and recorded, as an outstanding judgment on someone's record can interfere with the ability to obtain credit and with background checks. The court should be able to provide information about how long it takes to process the satisfaction of judgment and update their records.

WiseGeek is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Mary McMahon
By Mary McMahon

Ever since she began contributing to the site several years ago, Mary has embraced the exciting challenge of being a WiseGeek researcher and writer. Mary has a liberal arts degree from Goddard College and spends her free time reading, cooking, and exploring the great outdoors.

Discussion Comments
By anon1001180 — On Mar 20, 2019

Through the court, our grandson was ordered to repay money he took from us. Can we make some type of arrangement to have him pay us back himself without continuing through the court? He pays out so much through the courts he can't afford to live. We have plenty of work for him to do for us and paying cash back is agreeabl,e but in smaller amounts.

By anon110453 — On Sep 12, 2010

I have received an order from judge to order me to pay back the overpaid wages garnishment also the debtor requests to pay the filing fee. The letter was received one day after I voluntarily filed the satisfaction of judgment to the garnishee. And I will pay back the overpaid garnishment. Do I need to pay for the court filing fee? I did not receive any request of satisfaction of judgment from the debtor.

Mary McMahon
Mary McMahon

Ever since she began contributing to the site several years ago, Mary has embraced the exciting challenge of being a...

Learn more
WiseGeek, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

WiseGeek, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.