We are independent & ad-supported. We may earn a commission for purchases made through our links.
Advertiser Disclosure
Our website is an independent, advertising-supported platform. We provide our content free of charge to our readers, and to keep it that way, we rely on revenue generated through advertisements and affiliate partnerships. This means that when you click on certain links on our site and make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn more.
How We Make Money
We sustain our operations through affiliate commissions and advertising. If you click on an affiliate link and make a purchase, we may receive a commission from the merchant at no additional cost to you. We also display advertisements on our website, which help generate revenue to support our work and keep our content free for readers. Our editorial team operates independently of our advertising and affiliate partnerships to ensure that our content remains unbiased and focused on providing you with the best information and recommendations based on thorough research and honest evaluations. To remain transparent, we’ve provided a list of our current affiliate partners here.

What Is a Property and Casualty Insurance License?

Mary McMahon
Updated Feb 09, 2024
Our promise to you
WiseGeek is dedicated to creating trustworthy, high-quality content that always prioritizes transparency, integrity, and inclusivity above all else. Our ensure that our content creation and review process includes rigorous fact-checking, evidence-based, and continual updates to ensure accuracy and reliability.

Our Promise to you

Founded in 2002, our company has been a trusted resource for readers seeking informative and engaging content. Our dedication to quality remains unwavering—and will never change. We follow a strict editorial policy, ensuring that our content is authored by highly qualified professionals and edited by subject matter experts. This guarantees that everything we publish is objective, accurate, and trustworthy.

Over the years, we've refined our approach to cover a wide range of topics, providing readers with reliable and practical advice to enhance their knowledge and skills. That's why millions of readers turn to us each year. Join us in celebrating the joy of learning, guided by standards you can trust.

Editorial Standards

At WiseGeek, we are committed to creating content that you can trust. Our editorial process is designed to ensure that every piece of content we publish is accurate, reliable, and informative.

Our team of experienced writers and editors follows a strict set of guidelines to ensure the highest quality content. We conduct thorough research, fact-check all information, and rely on credible sources to back up our claims. Our content is reviewed by subject-matter experts to ensure accuracy and clarity.

We believe in transparency and maintain editorial independence from our advertisers. Our team does not receive direct compensation from advertisers, allowing us to create unbiased content that prioritizes your interests.

A property and casualty insurance license allows a representative to sell products like car, home, and renter’s insurance. Such licenses are often required of insurance agents, who may also need to apply for other certifications to sell health and life insurance, along with other products. Regulation is designed to protect consumers by requiring agents to be familiar with the basics of handling insurance policies and the regulations that may apply in the event of a claim. Insurance agencies may sponsor employees wishing to apply for licenses, paying for training and the examination required to receive a license.

The precise requirements to obtain a property and casualty insurance license depend upon the region. Applicants usually need to complete a set number of hours of classroom education with an accredited organization, like a community college or trade school. Once they have finished their hours requirement, they can apply to sit for an examination. In the test, the questions cover the basics of handling insurance policies and applicable regulations. Representatives who pass become licensed insurance agents.

It may be necessary to periodically renew a property and casualty insurance license. The documentation may expire after a certain period of time to force agents to retake the examination, and some areas have continuing education requirements. These ensure that representatives keep up with changes to the law and other events that might affect sales practices and the types of insurance products they sell. Customers can look up insurance agents with regulatory authorities to determine if they are in good standing.

People who want to insure assets like cars, businesses, and homes may need to work with an agent who has a property and casualty insurance license. This license can also allow an agent to sell worker’s compensation insurance and related products. Many agents also choose to apply for additional licenses so they can meet all the potential needs of their customers. Homeowners might want to take out a life insurance policy, for example, and don’t want to be forced to go to a different agent to write that policy. Each license usually requires different training and its own examination.

Insurance agencies hiring new agents may prefer people with experience, training, and valid licenses, especially if they need to fill an immediate vacancy. In other cases, trainees without licenses may be accepted. They can get work experience in the office while they work to satisfy the hours requirement and prepare to take the property and casualty insurance license examination.

WiseGeek is dedicated to providing accurate and trustworthy information. We carefully select reputable sources and employ a rigorous fact-checking process to maintain the highest standards. To learn more about our commitment to accuracy, read our editorial process.
Link to Sources
Mary McMahon
By Mary McMahon

Ever since she began contributing to the site several years ago, Mary has embraced the exciting challenge of being a WiseGeek researcher and writer. Mary has a liberal arts degree from Goddard College and spends her free time reading, cooking, and exploring the great outdoors.

Discussion Comments
Mary McMahon
Mary McMahon

Ever since she began contributing to the site several years ago, Mary has embraced the exciting challenge of being a...

Learn more
WiseGeek, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.

WiseGeek, in your inbox

Our latest articles, guides, and more, delivered daily.