If you are looking for the most effective rodent poisons, you should probably consider poisons that contain either anticoagulants, cholecalciferol, or bromethalin. These three poisons are available under several different brand names, and most lawn and garden centers carry them. In addition to being readily available, anticoagulant, cholecalciferol, and bromethalin poisons are usually very effective for eliminating all types of rodents. If you use any type of rodent poison, be extremely careful with them if you have small children or pets in your home. Rodent poisons can be deadly if they are consumed by anyone, particularly children and small animals.
Anticoagulant rodent poisons are some of the most commonly used. These poisons work by getting rid of the vitamin K in the bloodstream. After a day or two, rodents who have ingested the anticoagulant will typically bleed to death internally because the absence of vitamin K in their bloodstreams will prevent their blood from being able to clot. Even though anticoagulants are very dangerous to humans and pets if ingested, the effects can often be reversed because doctors can usually administer a shot of vitamin K as an antidote to prevent internal bleeding. Anticoagulant rodent poisons may be the best type for you to use if you have small children or pets because the effects of the poison are potentially reversible.
Cholecalciferol rodent poison is another type of poison that is generally considered very effective for eliminating rodents and is actually a type of vitamin D. When rodents consume cholecalciferol, they are essentially overdosing on calcium. This calcium overdose will cause cardiac arrest, seizures, and death, usually within 36 hours after consumption. There is no antidote available for the accidental ingestion of cholecalciferol for humans or pets, so this type of poison might not be a good choice to use if small children or pets live in your home. If cholecalciferol is accidentally ingested, vomiting is typically induced, and patients must often be closely monitored for several weeks until the calcium levels begin to decline.
Bromethalin is an incredibly deadly type of rodent poison, and it works by interfering with the central nervous system, including the brain and spine. Most of the time, bromethalin requires only one dose to kill a rodent. The majority of rodents who consume bromethalin die in less than 24 hours after consumption. There is no antidote for bromethalin in humans or pets, and you should seek medical attention right away if the poison has been ingested.