At WiseGEEK, we're committed to delivering accurate, trustworthy information. Our expert-authored content is rigorously fact-checked and sourced from credible authorities. Discover how we uphold the highest standards in providing you with reliable knowledge.
Milk protein isolate is a form of protein isolate generally made from milk. It is not considered to contain milk, and so can be an appropriate diet supplement for those who don't or can't eat dairy products, or for anyone who needs more dietary protein. the compound is usually made from cow's milk, in a process that removes the proteins from the milk itself. It typically derives about 20 percent of its proteins from whey, with the other 80 percent usually coming from the caseins in the milk. Milk protein isolate is an excellent source of protein, so it's often used in bodybuilding supplements, protein powders, and protein bars.
Some believe that the isolate is particularly effective for stabilizing blood sugar levels and helping to increase lean muscle mass. That's because it can take the body several hours to fully digest this type of protein isolate. Milk protein isolate may be able to stabilize blood sugar for as long as seven hours. This can help prevent hunger and can help bodybuilders develop more muscle. It also means that this supplement can be used as an effective meal replacement.
Bodybuilders often use milk protein isolate to increase muscle mass, especially prior to competitive events. This diet supplement can also help to stabilize blood sugar levels, raise metabolism, and encourage weight loss. Most experts believe that protein isolates made from milk are low in calories and sugar, and safe for use as part of a weight-loss program.
Most people don't have a problem digesting this isolate, even people who are lactose intolerant or have digestive troubles. It's often a good alternative for protein-rich foods that are more difficult to digest, such as meat, cheese, and milk.
While milk protein isolate does contain high levels of protein, most experts warn that it is deficient in the other nutrients typically found in milk. These nutrients are generally removed during processing. Regulatory organizations often don't oversee the production and sale of dietary supplements such as milk protein isolate, so these products may often vary widely in quality. Some experts believe that there could be health risks associated with using protein diet supplements to excess, but using them according to manufacturer's instructions is generally considered safe.