An allergic reaction to dust mites is relatively common, although it can sometimes be mistaken for seasonal allergies or other medical conditions. Some of the most common symptoms of this type of allergy include sneezing, itchy and watery eyes, and a runny nose. Pain or pressure in the facial area may occur as a result of nasal congestion, or the throat and roof of the mouth may begin to itch. Treatment for an allergic reaction involves the use of over-the-counter or prescription medications as well as prevention so that the allergic reaction does not recur. Any specific questions or concerns about an allergic reaction to dust mites should be discussed with a doctor or other medical professional.
Dust mites are microscopic insects that live in household dust, feeding off of dead skin and other small particles found in the dust. These mites excrete a protein in the waste material that provokes an allergic reaction in many people. Sneezing, coughing, or wheezing may occur when exposed to these proteins. Itchy, watery eyes and nasal congestion are also common.
Additional symptoms of an allergic reaction to dust mites may include postnasal drip, runny nose, or frequent awakening at night. Itching may occur on the skin, throat, or roof of the mouth. Those with a respiratory illness known as asthma or a skin condition known as eczema may notice a worsening of symptoms.
Those who have had an allergic reaction to dust mites may be able to lessen the frequency and severity of the reactions by taking a few preventative measures. Cleanliness is the most important aspect of prevention, and the home should be dusted and vacuumed regularly. It may be helpful to wear a dust mask while cleaning in order to avoid as much contact with dust mites as possible. Controlling the amount of humidity in the house and eliminating triggers such as cigarette smoke may also prove to be helpful.
Treatment for the allergic reaction is aimed at managing specific symptoms. Over-the-counter antihistamines may help to alleviate many of the symptoms associated with this type of allergic reaction. Eye drops or nasal sprays may be beneficial in treating some of the symptoms as well. If over-the-counter remedies and preventative efforts are not successful, a doctor should be consulted. In some cases, prescription strength medications may be needed to successfully treat the symptoms.