What are the Signs of a Diazepam Overdose?

Meshell Powell

Diazepam is a prescription medication that is commonly used to treat anxiety disorders. If a person taken more than the recommended dosage of this medication, a diazepam overdose may occur. This occurrence warrants an immediate trip to the hospital, as it is considered a medical emergency. Some possible signs of a diazepam overdose may include drowsiness, confusion, or coma. Treatment options that may be used in the event of a diazepam overdose may include the use of medications, oxygen therapy, and psychological evaluation.

Intense drowsiness is often the first sign of diazepam overdose.
Intense drowsiness is often the first sign of diazepam overdose.

Extreme tiredness, weakness, or drowsiness may occur as a result of a diazepam overdose. Some patients may develop muscle tremors, or movements may seem unbalanced or uncoordinated. The eyes may begin to move from side to side to side in a rapid manner, indicating a condition known as nystagmus. The patient may also complain of blurred or double vision.

Diazepam can be used as a muscle relaxant to treat muscle strains associated with vigorous exercise.
Diazepam can be used as a muscle relaxant to treat muscle strains associated with vigorous exercise.

Diazepam overdose may cause the affected person to become easily excitable or deeply confused. It may become difficult or even impossible for the person to hold a normal conversation, even for short periods of time. Breathing difficulties may also develop as a result of a diazepam overdose. Uncontrollable hiccups, stomach pain or upset, and the development of a rash are not uncommon. Some patients may become withdrawn or deeply depressed.

Emergency medical assistance is vital in the event of a diazepam overdose in order to prevent potentially fatal complications. Treatment will begin as soon as the patient arrives at the hospital. If the patient is having breathing difficulties, oxygen therapy may be used. In most cases, a small tube known as an IV will be inserted into a vein so that any necessary medications can be easily delivered directly into the bloodstream. Blood work will most likely be performed to find out how much medication is in the patient's body or if any additional drugs have been taken.

A patient with a suspected diazepam overdose will usually be given activated charcoal to absorb some of the medication from the body. A laxative may also be given in order to remove some of the medication through the intestines. In some cases, the contents of the stomach may have to be pumped out of the body. Once the patient's medical condition has stabilized, a psychological evaluation may be performed, especially if the overdose is thought to be intentional. If this is the case, the patient may be transferred to a psychological facility for further treatment.

A diazepam overdose patient will often receive medications through an intravenous line.
A diazepam overdose patient will often receive medications through an intravenous line.

You might also Like

Readers Also Love

Discuss this Article

Post your comments
Login:
Forgot password?
Register: