Many people are interested in taking vitamin D as a supplement, but feel overwhelmed with the forms available. Liquid vitamin D is just one type, and like any other supplement, there are pros and cons to taking this product. One of the main advantages is that it is considered easy to swallow, unlike tablets. It also typically gets into the bloodstream faster than pills, cutting down on the waiting period for it to take effect. Unfortunately, the fact that it is easy to swallow is also a disadvantage since some people, particularly babies, can overdose on it.
Some adults avoid taking vitamins because they have trouble swallowing large pills. Such people are likely grateful for liquid vitamin D since it can be added to a beverage with a medicine dropper, making it easy to swallow. It typically has little to no taste, as well, which means that those who do not like flavored medicine may also prefer this kind of supplement. Of course, liquid vitamin D is also usually ideal for children and infants, most of whom cannot take large pills.
Vitamin D is fat-soluble, which usually means that the body must work hard to properly absorb it, so it takes time for it to take effect. Most liquid vitamin D products, on the other hand, make it easier for the body to absorb the vitamin since they are usually water-based. This means that some of the steps of digestion are already taken. Additionally, most types of this liquid do not contain the binders or fillers that usually appear in tablets, which means that the liquid is often considered more natural.
This supplement is often given to breastfed infants since they are prone to developing a deficiency of vitamin D, resulting in soft bones. Offering this supplement to infants helps their stomach to absorb calcium, and can increase the health and density of their bones. While liquid vitamin D seems like a good idea since infants should not have tablets, some babies have overdosed on the supplement because their caregiver put too much liquid in the dropper. Overdose of vitamin D usually results in nausea, vomiting, fatigue, joint and muscle pain, constipation, decreased appetite, and excessive thirst and urination. The typical cause of overdose is the use of the wrong medicine dropper for the liquid, which is why it is important to use the correct dropper when giving liquid vitamin D to infants.