Amoxicillin overdose symptoms can vary widely from one person to another and may depend in part on the amount of the drug in the body. A mild overdose may cause symptoms such as dizziness, nausea, or abdominal discomfort. Blood in the urine, flu-like symptoms, and the development of a yeast infection may occur as the result of an amoxicillin overdose. More severe overdose symptoms may include reduced urine output, swelling, or yellowing of the skin or eyes. Any suspected overdose should be reported to a doctor for further evaluation to make sure there are no potentially life-threatening complications present.
A mild amoxicillin overdose may cause symptoms that are easily confused with other medical conditions. Flu-like symptoms such as fever, runny nose, or muscle pain may not be recognized as signs of an allergy. Nausea, diarrhea, or vomiting are potential symptoms of an overdose of amoxicillin as well. If these symptoms become severe or if they are accompanied by severe abdominal pain, medical assistance should be obtained right away.
Kidney damage may occur in more severe cases of amoxicillin overdose. Blood in the urine or decreased urination are symptoms that should be checked out by a physician to rule out the presence of infection or blockage. Swelling, especially involving the face, hands, and feet, may be an indicator of decreased kidney function. Kidney damage related to this type of overdose may not always be reversible and may require dialysis or kidney transplant.
Jaundice is a possible symptom of an amoxicillin overdose and causes the skin or the white portion of the eyes to appear yellow. The development of jaundice is usually related to some form of liver dysfunction. Prescription medications may be be used to help treat this condition, although surgical intervention is sometimes necessary. Severe liver damage may result in the surgical removal of the damaged portion of the organ.
Anaphylaxis is among the potential amoxicillin overdose symptoms. This potentially fatal type of allergic reaction may cause the throat to swell, leading to difficulty breathing and decreased oxygen supply to the brain and other vital organs. Additional symptoms may include facial swelling, chest pain, and the development of an itchy rash. Without emergency medical attention, anaphylaxis can cause permanent brain damage or death within a matter of minutes. If any type of allergic reaction is suspected, a doctor should be consulted to make sure there are no serious health risks present.